Monday, May 25, 2009

Mercado!

So, on Sunday Melinda and I went to the open air market in Crespano. It was huuuuuge. More than a hundred 'stands' I am sure, and the stands are large. They were mostly selling clothes, but others sold shoes, bags, food, local honey, curtains, flowers, potted plants, fruits and vegetables and even more.

All stores in Italy are closed on Sunday (or at least most) so these Markets are hugely lucrative. There are even shops in Crespano that will open just to make extra money during market time (mostly resturants and gelatorias.)

So, we wandered around for a while, and I bought a hair clip, because I missed the number of them I had at home.

We also ate a little from the food stands. Of course, they were noisy and the people working there don't know English, and we know little Italian. So we pointed until we got a bag of french fries (which are eaten with very long toothpicks) and these round things which were kinda flavored like hush puppies, but inside they seemed to be filled with potatoes.

Then we got gelato (bacche, which is berries and limone, which is lemon!). and walked back. Then we did homework, and I did things like straighten my room and launder a few clothes in the sink.

Today, though, after lunch we're going to Padova! (Padua, in English. I don't know why the english didn't just say Padova, but instead insisted on making their own word). I have quite a lot of free time tomorrow, so expect some picture then, but probably not before, as I'll be out rather late tonight.

All my love.

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment